Setting readers up for a beautiful view. Guest post by Rachael Brownell

Setting readers up for a beautiful view
Hello! Hello!  {flails arms like a crazy chick}
My name is Rachael Brownell and I am going to be your guest host for today. I write primarily Young-adult and New-adult romance. I wanna give a big shout out to Brenda and We Read With a Glass of Wine for having me here today. Brenda was one of the first readers I connected with when I started this crazy journey. I cannot wait for the day we finally get to meet. Tackles hugs will happen.
Today I’m going to talk a little about the setting of a book and how important it is. As an example, I’m going to use my first book, Holding On.
Holding On takes place in Tucson, Arizona. When I sat down to write the book it was the first place I thought of to use. I was a new author and I wanted the readers to be able to have a great mental imagine of the picture I was painting for them. I lived in Tucson for a while when I was in high school so most of the places I talk about are actual places.
For instance: Becca’s high school. It’s based off of Sabino High School. I always loved that campus. It’s situated at the base of the Santa Catalina Mountains and the buildings all stand on their own, connected by outdoor walkways. There’s one scene in particular that closely mimics a real-life event for me. A friend of mine gave me the same tour on my first day of school that Ethan gave Becca. I remember being in awe of the beauty of the campus. I was accustomed to a school that had one large building with everything connected inside. Sabino was more like a college campus than a high school campus.

These are the Santa Catalina Mountains.

So I chose Tucson because I felt that I had a connection with the city that I could pass along to my readers. In my opinion, that’s part of what makes a book good. If you can see the picture the author is painting with their words, you better connect with the characters and what they’re going through. Setting is just one piece of the puzzle.
That’s all I have for you. Of course, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I love to hear from readers and other authors. It’s my favorite part of this job.
Rachael ☺


No comments:

Post a Comment